Android phone and tablet don't see each other?
  • I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm wondering if I'm just doing something wrong. I have a phone (Droid Eris, with Android 2.1) and tablet (Galaxy Tab, with 4.1), both with the app installed (about 18 hours ago, so I did read the FAQ and let it sit), both with Bluetooth and GPS enabled, but pressing the Connect buttons only tells me "no devices found". Unfortunately I don't have a Bluetooth enabled laptop or another phone to test with. I assumed that OG was compatible with 2.1 since it was in the phone's app store, but was I wrong about that? Or is it a user malfunction?
  • shalunovshalunov
    1470.00Administrator, Moderator
    It should work; if you could post the logs from the phone and the tablet (or email them to support@opengarden.com, if you prefer), it would help us troubleshoot this.
    Stanislav Shalunov
    CTO, Open Garden
  • I will do so as soon as I find them. Thank you.
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    2870.00Administrator, Moderator
    Hey there, just checking up on you...
    Are you able to obtain debug logs okay? Let me know if you need any assistance! Here's a thread to help too.
    Paige Peterson
    Open Garden Community Manager
  • Thank you very much, that was very useful, I have my logs now. I renamed them to show which is from which device. Looking at them it looks like there might be something amiss with my tablet's bluetooth, but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at and there's no way for me to sound smart about this. But I apologize in advance if my problem has nothing to do with OpenGarden.
    alogcat.2012-09-29-04-16-42-05009(HTCDroidEris).txt
    alogcat.2012-09-29-04-16-39-0500(SamsungGalaxyTab).txt
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    Thanks for the logs, we'll get back to you after someone's reviewed them!
    Paige Peterson
  • koyarikoyari
    0.00Member
    me too having problem with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.0.4), seems like open garden don't like SGT2, tried connecting with S2 (4.0), and also tried connecting with Laptop (XP)
  • aghoshehaghosheh
    20.00Member
    OK this is what I found out. I had the same problem when I took my tablet to work and tried to connect with the blue tooth. I got so mad I took the app off my phone and tablet. But when I got home I reinstalled on both then with the wifi turned on on the tablet I pressed connect then did the same to the phone and magically both connected to each other. I turned the wifi off on the tablet and I still stayed connected. Now I am typing this from work using the tablet connected to the phone we don't have any wifi anywhere around. So, you must have a wifi connection the very first time you connect then you are in surfing have an after that.
  • aghoshehaghosheh
    20.00Member
    The only problem I have is disconnecting the tablet from the phone. Can't do it without shutting the blue tooth off or the tablet of, I still want the phone working.
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    koyari said:

me too having problem with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.0.4), seems like open garden don't like SGT2, tried connecting with S2 (4.0), and also tried connecting with Laptop (XP)

It should work for you, can you please describe your troubleshooting a bit more? And give it a look if you haven't already checked out our FAQ

aghosheh said:

The only problem I have is disconnecting the tablet from the phone. Can't do it without shutting the blue tooth off or the tablet of, I still want the phone working.

Responding to you in the other thread.
    Paige Peterson
  • jhardt13jhardt13
    0.00Member
    I had the same problem. I have an Asus TF700 tablet and the original HTC EVO phone and neither device could find each other. I played with it for awhile and then figured maybe my EVO, running Android 2.3.5, is too old. I uninstalled OG from my phone and now for some reason I don't get any Internet/data service on my phone. I can connect to Wifi just fine, but no mobile data connectivity. Please help! Should my two devices work with OG? Why did uninstalling OG on my phone seem to have broken my mobile network (Sprint) connectivity?

Thanks in advance.
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    Your devices definitely should work with OG... which we can get working after resolving your data connection issue first:
    I'm not sure why it would effect your data connectivity after uninstalling... I'm going to assume that you've tried restarting your device. Does it display an icon as if you were connected? ie. 3G, 4G
    Paige Peterson
  • jhardt13jhardt13
    0.00Member
    Okay, so after 12 hrs of no mobile network connectivity, it finally just started working again. At this point I'm not sure this was directly related to installing/uninstalling OG, but for the time being, my mobile network is working.

Now onto connecting my TF700 tablet and HTC EVO phone. With playing around some more, I was able to turn off WiFi on my tablet, and connect via bluetooth to my phone and access the Internet. My phone was still connected to Wifi. When I disconnected by phone from Wifi, I was unable to access the Internet on my tablet. Needless to say, it's been a challenge trying to get them hooked up again. The network map on the Tablet (in the OG application) consistently shows that it's linked to the phone, which is in turn linked to the Internet, but I can't access the Internet. The network map on my phone (in the OG application) consistently shows only the phone linked to the Internet and the tablet does not show (as if it doesn't recognize it's there).

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am intrigued with this app, if I can get it to work :)
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    Glad your data connection started working again!

I'd like to get a debug log for both devices if possible. You can post them in a new comment on this thread or send them to support@opengarden.com with a link to this thread and your username so we know it's you.
    If you need assistance capturing logs, check out this thread: http://forum.opengarden.com/log

Paige Peterson
  • jhardt13jhardt13
    0.00Member
    I think I finally wrapped my head around this. Both my devices must be connected to Wifi in order for them to detect each other in OG. If I have both connected to Wifi and both have blue tooth turned on, I can click "Connect" in OG on both devices and they find each other. I was then able to turn Wifi off on both devices leaving only my cell phones data plan, and successfully access the Internet. Nice!

Am I understanding the requirements for connecting my devices accurately, in that I must have both connected to Wifi to establish the connection between the devices first, then once the connection is established, I no longer need Wifi and my phone will automatically share its data connection with my tablet if I don't happen to be in a place where I can access Wifi (as long as I haven't switched off blue tooth, rebooted, or closed OG on either device which would sever the connection and require Wifi to reconnect)? Or should I be able to connect the devices without Wifi at all? The downside to requiring Wifi of course is if I'm heading somewhere with no Wifi for the weekend I have to remember to activate blue tooth and Wifi on both devices to establish the connection before I leave, then make sure to not turn off bluetooth or OG once I've left or I lose the connection with no way to reestablish it. Correct?
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    The very first connection is crucial for both devices to have access to internet. Once a client is able to successfully connect through Open Garden you won't need WiFi at all. Open Garden finds the quickest onramp to the internet for your device... and when no WiFi is available it will search for other Open Garden clients in it's vicinity to connect to.
    We are working on a better implementation of documentation if you have any suggestions that might have helped you understand... we recently updated the FAQ so check that out too: http://forum.opengarden.com/faq
    Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm really glad it started working for you!
    Paige Peterson
  • jhardt13jhardt13
    0.00Member
    I think you definitely could use a step-by-step guide on how to get it setup initially, and subsequently if you choose to turn off Bluetooth, OG (force close), or reboot either device. Nowhere on your FAQ page does it specifically state that the devices you are trying to connect MUST be connected to Wifi and MUST have bluetooth enabled in order for the devices to be recognized by OG. Nor does it stress the point that bluetooth must be left enabled on both devices, or you lose the connection and must re-connect (requiring Wifi). Everything I read made it sound like I wouldn't have to do anything at all after that initial connection. That's why after I got my devices connected the first time, I was confused why they wouldn't reconnect on their own (I had toggled bluetooth off and on not realizing it severed the connection). The key of course is that you do not take any number of actions that will sever the connection (to repeat - turning off Bluetooth or OG (force closing) on any device, or rebooting either device). I think a lot of people, including myself, by preference or force of habit, will turn off Bluetooth or OG when I know I don't want to use it. I intend to leave both on going forward to see how this really works, but it was not clear to me that I had to re-initialize the connection (requiring Wifi) if I chose to disable bluetooth or force close OG. Please clarify if my understanding is wrong.

I do have a question: Let's say I have Wifi available in my home, and I tend to turn off my devices at night (which I don't, but let's just say). When I power up my devices in the morning, they would both connect to my Wifi network. Should OG start up automatically on both devices, and automatically initialize the first connection since both devices are connected to Wifi? Or do I still have to manually take the step of launching OG and clicking "Connect" on both devices so they link up?
  • aghoshehaghosheh
    20.00Member
    From my experiance Bluetooth will not auto connect to anything easly. Maybe my car radio with a BT but its 50/50. With OG When I am in the office without a wifi and connect my cell to the tablet then take the cell and go outside for a smoke, I will lose the connection, however when I get back to my desk it normally reconnects on its own, I underline normally becuase some times I have to push the connect on both devices to re-establish the connection. What I recommend and what I use on my devices is an app named Go Power Master which can be set to different modes. I have a home mode with wifi on adn BT off and work mode with wifi off and BT . It takes a second to push the choice and no issues after that. You can get the app.
  • paigemarieepaigemariee
    You only need WiFi to be connected for the very first connection a device makes using Open Garden.
    If Open Garden is running and Bluetooth is activated on both devices the two should automatically connect when in range whether there's WiFi available or not. Like @aghosheh mentioned... there could be a few instances where you need to press Connect to initiate it, but that should not be required.
    Ideally we want this to be as seamless and frictionless as possible for users. We've got a long road ahead and any feedback you have about your experience is helpful to improve the experience for everyone else.
    Thanks!
    Paige Peterson
  • Sorry to revive my old question, but I left OG alone for a while and stuck to wifi, thinking, I dunno, maybe it would fix itself. :P However, still nothing. I've glanced through newer forum threads, including the very useful tutorial, and tried again this morning.

-I have OG apps updated to the latest version.
    -I rebooted both devices, since the tutorial post suggested this helps.
    -I have WiFi active, connected to my home network, on both devices. (I didn't know this was a requirement originally as I thought the phone's data plan would count as a connection to the internet, but they are connected now.)
    -I have GPS active on both.
    -I have Bluetooth active on both. I noticed that the Eris says "paired but not connected" and the tablet says "paired"; I'm not sure if I've ever seen it say anything else. Testing by transferring file back and forth shows that they do connect though.

Pressing the 'connect' button makes them think for a little while, then they both say "Could not connect. Devices could not be found."

I'm not really sure what's going wrong. Maybe a bluetooth issue? But it seems to be working properly for other uses (although I don't have any other devices to connect them to). I think maybe a more detailed error message would be a useful feature... It would be nice if the app would tell you 'hey, you're not connected to wifi, dummy', or 'please enable gps' or 'you're not paired to any other devices'. I'm kind of fumbling... Does anyone know what might be wrong?
  • aghoshehaghosheh
    20.00Member
    Seems you have done everything right. After the very first wifi connection you don't need it anymore, Actually, I turn it off at work to save power. Also GPS is not needed for anything with OG. I have seen this problem on my Tablet and Phone when the tablet connects with the blue tooth but the VPN never initiated. Normally I keep the tablet on and power off the phone then power it back on again. After the phone settles down from the boot, about a minute, I try it again. 98% of the time the VPN is initiated and connection is made. Some times it has to be done couple of times but rarely.The VPN need to get started even if you have a blue tooth pairing. Customer support, how does he need to get that going?
Help Open Garden grow!

Donate Bitcoins

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with Twitter